What would the holidays be without a Tacky Holiday Sweater Party? It’s a must do! This year I decided to mix it up a little and add one of my other favorite Christmas traditions, cookies!! And I do love a good party activity.
Learn from my mistake and make your own cookie dough. I tried to take a shortcut and use store bought, and while they tasted good, the dough spread too much and got mushy very quickly which made it hard to work with. But for all you fellow shortcut takers out there, the store bought icing on the other hand works just fine.
For those interested, here’s the recipe I should have used (#regrets)
3 cups of all purpose flour
1 cup of granulated sugar
1 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temp
1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
1 large egg
2 ounces cream cheese
1. Place flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
2. Place sugar and butter in a large bowl and beat with an electric mixer until creamy and smooth. Add extracts, egg and cream cheese, beating to incorporate.
3. Gradually add flour mixture and stir to combine. Divide dough in half and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hr.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
5. Roll dough out to 1⁄4 inch thick on a powdered sugar-dusted work surface. Cut cookies into shapes. Place an inch apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake until edges are golden- about 12 minutes.
6. Remove from heat and let cool on baking sheet for 1-2 minutes before transferring to wire rack. After cooling, cookies can be decorated with icing.
Thank you to Tryazon and Sweet Creations for sending me these products for review. These opinions are my own. Buy these adorable cookie cutters and stampers here.
Have you ever been to a tacky sweater party?